I can’t consider many issues which might be extra fulfilling than indulging in a hearty meal after a protracted hike within the mountains, particularly when it’s chilly exterior. And one of the vital belly-filling, soul-warming meals is that this Sign Mountain wild recreation chili.
In the event you’re searching for a dinner concept that’s impressed by a nationwide park, why not attempt making/replicating the well-known wild recreation chili that has featured on the menu of Grand Teton Nationwide Park’s Sign Mountain Lodge for years.
The truth is, this is likely one of the most well-known meals in America’s nationwide parks. Whereas there’s a lot to see and do in Grand Teton Nationwide Park, from majestic mountain views to wildlife like moose and grizzly bears, many guests additionally don’t go up the chance to take pleasure in a bowl of the famed Sign Mountain wild recreation chili.
Sign Mountain Wild Recreation Chili Recipe
- Prep time: quarter-hour
- Cook dinner time: 1 hour
- Whole time: 1 hour quarter-hour
- Servings: 8
Beneath, you’ll discover my very own recipe for this Grand Teton Nationwide Park-inspired dish, which I based mostly on the precise Sign Mountain wild recreation chili recipe.
So, have some enjoyable within the kitchen—maybe reminiscing about your personal go to to Grand Teton—and luxuriate in this superb nationwide park chili.
This Sign Mountain wild recreation chili recipe accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. You possibly can learn extra about our Phrases of Use / Disclosure right here.
Crucial Kitchen Instruments
Sign Mountain Wild Recreation Chili Elements
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 yellow or inexperienced bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound of floor bison
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons floor cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 can kidney beans (16 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans (16 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 oz.)
Word 1: You need to use any form of floor meat to make this nationwide park-inspired wild recreation chili. I used 90% lean floor bison, however wonderful options are floor elk, floor venison, floor turkey and even floor moose, if you could find that someplace.
Word 2: For a vegetarian model of this chili, you should utilize plant-based floor meat, corresponding to Unattainable Burger.
Word 3: You possibly can exchange the beer on this recipe with extra beef broth (or vegetable broth for a veggie model).
After you’ve prepped all components, it’s time to get cooking! Observe the steps beneath for a tremendous wild recreation chili evening.
- Warmth the olive oil within the soup pot over medium-high warmth.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook dinner till tender, about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the bottom bison and break it up with the picket spoon. Cook dinner till the meat is browned throughout, about 10 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the chili powder, floor cumin, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir correctly till all the pieces is mixed.
- Add the meat broth, beer, drained beans and crushed tomatoes. Stir till mixed.
- Deliver the combination to a quick boil.
- Scale back to a simmer over low to low-medium warmth. Simmer for 45 minutes or longer, uncovered, till the wild recreation chili has thickened to your liking. Stir often whereas the chili simmers.
- Ladle chili in bowls and add your favourite toppings.
- Take pleasure in!
Which Toppings to Use for Sign Mountain Recreation Chili
The unique wild recreation chili at Sign Mountain Lodge is topped with shredded cheese and scallions. You need to use whichever toppings you favor, although, in any mixture. These are widespread choices:
- Shredded cheese
- Bitter cream
- Sliced scallions
- Diced crimson onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
- Sizzling sauce